Sunday, March 02, 2008

Glen of Two Loughs

I went to Glendalough when I was small, with my mother, my Nana, and my Auntie Mollie. The memory stayed with me forever and I always intended to return.

In May 2007 I made a short trip to Dublin and visited my friend Ciara, as mentioned in other posts. The day trip that I wanted to do was to go to Glendalough, like I knew I would if I ever went to Eastern Ireland again.




The drive there from Dublin was beautiful. I wish I had been able to take better pictures but it was not possible, unfortunately, from a moving car. And the roll of "real" film is one of the missing ones. Boo. Heartbreak.

After walking through the old monastic "city", with the round tower and the ruins of ancient churches, as well as an extant graveyard, you walk along a trail until the trees open and like a curtain drawing back the lake appears. The big lake, the one most readily visible from the path, is so picturesque that it's hard to believe it's real.

I wish I could see this place on a sunny day in the middle of summer.

No comments: