Thursday, January 24, 2008

Washing toledo

When I was a teenager I went on a school trip around Europe. For years I was embarrassed that it was a school trip and that we bussed around, but this last year I've come to appreciate it. Driving from Spain to Italy is no small feat, even if it's on a bus, and what I saw, away from my family, at a young age, is irreplaceable.

We started in Madrid, and took a day trip to Toledo, the old capital. To this day it is easily one of the most spectacular places I have seen, and if I close my eyes I can picture the sights and sense the smells.




The old part of town is tangled mesh of old streets curving around buildings that have been there as long as memory stretches back, and it is very easy to get lost in this maze. While wandering around the old part of town, I came across a building that someone was cleaning. The light reflected off the water and the sand-coloured walls, and the splashes of water ended up as trickles of water on the dry street.

Next time I'm home I need to take out my photo album and see if I can't find the negative and get it reprinted. It was taken on my mum's cheap P&S vivitar 10 years ago. When I was in university I made a colour photocopy of this cherished photograph, so that I would not lose the photograph. Ironically, I've long since lost the photo itself but I still have that colour photocopy.

No comments: